12 January 2012

LivingItUp: Swing dance class!

Another post in my 'Living It Up While I Still Can' series where I try and do as much fun activities with friends and family as I can possibly squeeze in before I take off for hopefully a year abroad in New York City starting March 2012.

Three of my somewhat newly acquired friends Kane, Christine and Kate (not real names of course), attend swing dance classes which they really enjoy... they asked me to come along so I figured sure, why not. Got to live it up after all.

I had no idea what to think before we arrived so it really was a blind adventure. Thankfully my mate Brendan also got convinced to come along (they have been asking him to go for years ha), so that made it less awkward. Upon arrival we met a few new people and inspected the place, everyone seemed really eager to start which was a relaxing realization as it must be a fun class if everyone is that eager for it ha.

Long story short after feeling like an absolute clown for the first 15 minutes (and no doubt looking like one also), eventually when you start to get the hang of things it wasn't too bad at all. Makes for an awesome work out session, and everyone was of differing skill levels so you were never alone if you stuffed up the beat and had to wait until it finished and the next beat to begin before jumping back in again ha.

The teacher was really awesome and definitely knew what he was doing, watching him put all the different moves together fluently kind of motivated you further to try harder. Afterwards everyone was allowed to have creative time so each grabbed a partner and just danced however they wanted. I sat by the side and watched the couples (Kate looked incredible ahhh), and while I have no desire to be as pro as the teacher I could definitely see the appeal of at least being mediocre enough to be able to dance somewhat fluently with a partner. I could picture myself wanting to do that with my own future girlfriend someday.

So alas I gave it a go and it actually turned out to be a lot more fun than I originally presumed, so much so that I am thinking about doing it again next week.

Anything is worth trying at least once ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss swing dancing. I used to do it all the time. I even almost competed in it at one point.

Azz said...

Ha cool! It is surprisingly pretty awesome. Something that I am guessing is pretty cool once you have masted the basics and can do it with a partner =)

Post a Comment